Copy of `Curry Printing`

The wordlist doesn't exist anymore, or, the website doesn't exist anymore. On this page you can find a copy of the original information. The information may have been taken offline because it is outdated.

Curry Printing
Category: Agriculture and Industry > Printing press
Date & country: 30/06/2014, UK
Words: 577

An essential part of the printing process whereby cloth covered rubber rollers distributes the dampening solution to the plate.

Dandy Roll
During the paper making process while the paper is still 90% water, it passes over a wire mesh cylinder (dandy roll), which imparts surface textures on the paper such as wove or laid. This is also the stage where the watermark is put onto the paper.

Deckle Edge
The rough or feathered edge of paper when left untrimmed.

Deep Etching
The etching or removal of any unwanted areas of a plate to create more air or white space on the finished product.

An instruction given to remove an element from a layout.

A term that describes a standard sized printing paper measuring 17.5 x 22.5 in.

An optical device used by printers and photographers to measure and control the density of color.

The lay of paper fibers relative to tightness or looseness which affects the bulk, the absorbency and the finish of the paper.

The degree of tone, weight of darkness or color within a photo or reproduction; measurable by the densitometer. Reference, densitometer.

A light sensitive coal tar product used as a coating on presensitized plates, as well as overlay proofs.

Design, letters or shapes, cut into metal (mostly brass) for stamping book covers or embossing. An engraved stamp used for impressing an image or design.

Die Cutting
A method of using sharp steel ruled stamps or rollers to cut various shapes i.e. labels, boxes, image shapes, either post press or in line. The process of cutting paper in a shape or design by the use of a wooden die or block in which are positioned steel rules in the shape of the desired pattern.

Die Stamping
An intaglio process for printing from images engraved into copper or steel plates.

Digital Proof
Color separation data is digitally stored and then exposed to color photographic paper creating a picture of the final product before it is actually printed.

Dimensional stability
The qualities of paper to stabilize its original size when undergoing pressure or exposed to moisture.

A fine paper made specifically for the printing of diplomas, certificates and documents.

Direct Screen Halftone
A color separation process using a halftone negative made by direct contact with the halftone screen.

Display Type
Any type that stands out from the rest of the type on a page which attracts attention of the reader.

Distribution Rollers
In the printing process, the rubber coated rollers responsible for the distribution of ink from the fountain to the ink drum.

Doctor Blade
A term in gravure printing which refers to the knife-edge that runs along the printing cylinder; its function is to wipe the excess ink away from the non-printing areas.

Dog Ear
Occurs when you fold into a fold (such as a letter fold). At the side of one of the creases you get an indentation. It may look like a small inverted triangle.

The smallest individual element of a halftone.

Dot Gain
Darkening of halftone image due to ink absorption in paper causing halftone dots to enlarge. Terms to describe the occurrence whereby dots are printing larger than they should.

A method used by ink makers to determine the color, quality and tone of ink. It entails the drawing of a spatula over a drop of ink, spreading it flat over the paper.

A term that describes any additives to ink which encourages the drying process.

The actual drilling of holes into paper for ring or comb binding.

Drop Folio
Page number printed at foot of page.

Drop Shadow
A shadow image placed strategically behind an image to create the affect of the image lifting off the page.

Dry Mount
Pasting with heat sensitive adhesives.

Dry Offset
Process in which a metal plate is etched to a depth of 0.15 mm (0.006 in), making a right-reading relief plate, printed on the offset blanket and then to the paper without the use of water.

Ductor Roller
The roller between the inking and the dampening rollers.

Dull Finish
Any matte finished paper.

A term used to describe the preliminary assemblage of copy and art elements to be reproduced in the desired finished product; also called a comp.

Dummy Model
Resembling finished piece in every respect except that the pages and cover are blank, used by the designer as a final check on the appearance and +feel+ of the book as a guide for the size and position of elements on the jacket.

Color reproduction from monochrome original. Keyplate usually printed in dark color for detail, second plate printed in light flat tints. A two-color halftone reproduction generated from a one-color photo.

Duplex Paper
Paper which has a different color or finish on each side.

Dye-Based Ink
Any ink that acquires its color by the use of aniline pigments or dyes. Reference, aniline

Eggshell Finish
The finish of paper surface that resembles an eggshell achieved by omitting the calendar process. Reference, calendar rolls.

Electronic Composition
The assembly of characters into words, lines and paragraphs of text or body matter with graphic elements in page layout form in digital format for reproduction by printing.

Electronic Proof
A process of generating a prepress proof in which paper is electronically exposed to the color separation negatives; the paper is passed through the electrically charged pigmented toners, which adhere electrostatically, resulting in the finished proof.

Elliptical Dot
Halftone screens in which the dots are actually elongated to produce improved middle tones.

A unit of measurement equaling 12 points or 4.5mm.

A method of paper finishing whereby a pattern is pressed into the paper when it is dry.

To raise in relief a design or letters already printed on card stock or heavy paper by an uninked block or die. In rubber and plastic plate making the process is usually done by heat.

A light sensitive substance used as a coating for film; made from a silver halide compound. This side should face the lens when the film is exposed.

A term that describes a glossy coating on paper.

Attaching the final sheet of a signature of a book to the binding.

English Finish
A grade of uncoated book paper with a smooth uniform surface.

A printing process whereby images such as copy or art are etched onto a plate. When ink is applied, these etched areas act as small wells to hold the ink; paper is forced against this die and the ink is lifted out of the etched areas creating raised images on the paper.

The form used by the printer to calculate the project for the print buyer. This form contains the basic parameters of the project including size, quantity, colors, bleeds, photos etc.

One who computes or approximates the cost of work to be done on which quotation may be based.

The process of producing an image on a plate by the use of acid.

Even Smalls
The use of smaller sized capitals at the beginning of a sentence without the use of larger sized caps.

Expanded Type
Type with width greater than normal producing a rectangular effect.

That stage of the photographic process where the image is produced on the light sensitive coating.

A white pigment added to a colored pigment to reduce its intensity and improve its working qualities.

Fan Fold
Paper folding that emulates an accordion or fan, the folds being alternating and parallel.

Fat Face
Type that is quite varied in its use of very thin and very wide strokes.

A cloth conveyor belt that receives papers from the Fourdrinier wire and delivers it to the drier.

Felt Finish
The smoother side of paper, usually a soft weave pattern used for book papers.

Felt Side
It is the top side of the sheet in the paper making process that does not lie on the Fourdrinier wire.

Filling In
A fault in printing where the ink fills in the fine line or halftone dot areas.

Film Coat
Also called wash coat; any thinly coated paper stock.

The surface quality of paper.

(Paper) Dull - (low gloss) also matte or matte gloss.


The registration of items within a given page.

Flash Point
A term given to the lowest temperature of ignitibility of vapors given off by a substance.

In lithography, the assembly of photographic negatives or positives on vinyl acetate for exposure in vacuum frame in contact with sensitized metal press plate.

Flock Paper
Paper that is patterned by sizing, and than coated with powders of wool or cotton, (flock).

Fluid Ink
Also called liquid ink; ink with a low viscosity.

Flush Cover
A bound book or booklet etc. having the cover trimmed to the same size as the text.

Flushed Pigment
The results of combining a wet ink pigment with a varnish and having the wet pigment mix or transfer over to the varnish.

Fogging Back
Lowering density of an image in a specific area usually to make type more legible while still letting image show through.

Papers that have a surface resembling metal.

Fold Marks
Markings at top edges that show where folds should occur.

Machine used to fold signatures down into sections.

Folio or Page Number
Number of page at top or bottom either centered, flushed left or flushed right often with running headline.

The characters which make up a complete typeface and size.

Form Rollers
The rollers that come into direct contact with the plate of a printing press.

(old) type matter or type and block with its accompanying spacing material secured in the forme called a chase.

In Binding, the process between folding sheets and casing in, such as rounding and backing, putting on headbands, reinforcing backs, etc.

A machine with a copper wire screen that receives the pulp slurry in the paper making process which will become the final paper sheet.

Free sheet
Any paper that is free from wood pulp impurities.

French Fold(er)
Folder with printing on one side so that when folded once in each direction, the printing on outside of the folds.

A halo that appears around halftone dots.

Fugitive inks
Colors that lose tone and permanency when exposed to light.

The slurry mixture of fibers, water, chemicals and pigments, that is delivered to the Fourdrinier machine in the paper making process.

A term for the fibers that project from the paper surface.

(old) flat oblong tray into which composed type matter is put and kept until made up into pages in the forme. Also a similar tray on a slug composing machine which receives the slugs as they are ejected. Also a long column of composed text matter

Galley Proof
A proof of text copy before it is pasted into position for printing.

Galley Slave
Old term for compositor.

Group of frames or impositions in the same forme of different jobs arranged and positioned to be printed together.

The bundling of two or more different printing projects on the same sheet of paper.

To assemble or collect sections into single copies of complete books for binding.

Assembling sheets of paper and signatures into their proper sequence; collating.

Image which appears as a lighter area on a subsequent print due to local blanket depressions from previous image areas on a letterpress rotary machine as well as on an offset press.

Marring a print by the placement of an image of work printed on the reverse side which has interfered with its drying so that differences in the trapping frame colors or glass variations are apparent.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Sticking on gold leaf to edges of books with a liquid agent and made permanent with burnishing tools.