Copy of `Curry Printing`

The wordlist doesn't exist anymore, or, the website doesn't exist anymore. On this page you can find a copy of the original information. The information may have been taken offline because it is outdated.

Curry Printing
Category: Agriculture and Industry > Printing press
Date & country: 30/06/2014, UK
Words: 577

Photographic proof made from flats for checking accuracy, layout and imposition before plates are made. Also known as a dylux.

The main shank or portion of the letter character other than the ascenders and descenders. Also: A term used to define the thickness or viscosity of printer's ink.

Body Size
The point size of a particular type character.

Boiler Plate
Repetitive blocks of type that are picked up and included routinely without recreating them.

Any type that has a heavier black stroke that makes it more conspicuous.

The edges of folded sheets of paper, which are trimmed off in the final stages of production.

A grade of durable writing, printing and typing paper that has a standard size of 17x22 inches.

A general classification to describe papers used to print books; its standard size is 25x38 inches. A printed work which contains more than 64 pages.

Book Block
A term given the unfinished stage of bookmaking when the pages are folded, gathered and stitched-in but not yet cover bound.

Bounce 1
A registration problem, usually on copiers, where the image appears to bounce back and forth. A bounce usually occurs in one direction depending on how the paper is passing through the machine. This is usually accented by card stock (especially if it's over the machine's spec). When a customer refuses a job for whatever reason.

A pressure sensitive color film that is used to prepare color art.

Box Cover Paper
A lightweight paper used expressly for covering paper boxes.

Box Enamel Paper
A glossy coated paper used to cover paper boxes.

Box Liners
A coated paper used on the inside of boxes, which are used for food.

Break For Color
In layout design, the term for dividing or separating the art and copy elements into single color paste-up sheets.

Bristol Board
A board paper of various thickness; having a smooth finish and used for printing and drawing.

Broad Fold
A term given to the fold whereby paper is folded with the short side running with the grain.

A heavily embossed paper.

A pamphlet that is bound in booklet form.

A printing method whereby special ink is applied to sheets and then a powder is applied producing a metallic effect.

Brownline Proof
A photographic proof made by exposing a flat to UV light creating a brown image on a white background. Also referred to as silverprint.

Buckle Folder
A portion of the binding machinery with rollers that fold the paper.

A coarse sized cloth used in the bookbinding process.

A term used to define the number of pages per inch of a book relative to its given basis weight.

A term given to paper to describe its thickness relative to its weight.

A boldface square or dot used before a sentence to emphasize its importance.

Bump Exposure
A process used in halftone photography that entails the temporary removal of the screen during exposure. This increases the highlight contrast and diminishes the dots in the whites.

A term used in plate making to describe the amount of plate exposure time.

Creating a polished finish on paper by rubbing with stone or hand smoothing a surface.

Burst Binding
A binding technique that entails nicking the backfold in short lengths during the folding process, which allows glue to reach each individual leaf and create a strong bond.

Cable Paper
A strong paper used to wrap electrical cables.

Cadmium Yellow
A pigment made from cadmium sulfide and cadmium selenide.

Calendar Board
A strong paperboard used for calendars and displays.

Calendar Rolls
A series of metal rolls at the end of a paper machine; when the paper is passed between these rolls it increases its smoothness and glossy surface.

The measurement of thickness of paper expressed in thousandths of an inch or mils.

A dull coated paper, which is particularly useful in reproducing halftones and engravings.

Camera Ready
A term given to any copy, artwork etc., that is prepared for photographic reproduction.

Canvas Board
A paperboard with a surface of simulated canvas, used for painting.

Cap Line
An imaginary horizontal line running across the tops of capital letters.

Caps & Lower Case
Instructions in the typesetting process that indicate the use of a capital letter to start a sentence and the rest of the letters in lower case.

Caps & Small Caps
Two sizes of capital letters made in one size of type.

Carbon Black
A pigment made of elemental carbon and ash.

Carbon Tissue
A color printing process utilizing pigmented gelatin coatings on paper, which become the resist for etching gravure plates or cylinders.

Carbonate Paper
A chemical pulp paper (calcium carbonate), used mostly for the printing of magazines.

A rough finished paper used for wrapping.

The stiff covers of a hardbound book.

Case Binding
Books bound using hard board (case) covers.

A milk byproduct used as an adhesive in making coated papers.

Casing In
The process of placing in and adhering a book to its case covers.

Cast Coated
A paper that is coated and then pressure dried using a polished roller which imparts an enamel like hard gloss finish.

Catching Up
A term to describe that period of the printing process where the non-image areas can take on ink or debris.

Chain Lines
Lines that appear on laid paper as a result of the wires of the papermaking machine.

A term used to describe the quality of print on paper where the absorption of the paper is so great that it breaks up the ink image creating loose pigment dust.

Chancery Italic
A 13th century handwriting style which is the roots of italic design.

(old) Frame of steel, or cast or wrought iron, in which images are locked up for printing.

China Clay
An aluminum silica compound used in gravure and screen printing inks. Also called kaolin.

Chrome Green
The resulting ink pigment attained from the mixture of chrome yellow and iron blue.

Chrome Yellow
A lead chromate yellow ink pigment.

Circular Screen
A screen that utilizes a concentric circle pattern as opposed to dots used for halftones and to allow the platemaker to set exact screen angles.

Clay-Coated Boxboard
A strong, easily folded boxboard with clay coating used for making folding boxes.

Coarse Screen
Halftone screens commonly used in newsprint; up to 85 lines per inch.

(Paper) Paper coated with clay, white pigments and a binder. Better for printing because there is less picking.

Coated Art Paper
Printing papers used for printing projects that require a special treatment of detail and shading.

Coated Stock
Any paper that has a mineral coating applied after the paper is made, giving the paper a smoother finish.

Cold Color
Any color that moves toward the blue side in the color spectrum.

Cold-Set Inks
A variety of inks that are in solid form originally but are melted in a hot press and then solidify when they contact paper.

To gather sheets or signatures together in their correct order. (see Gather)

Collating Marks
Black step-marks printed on the back of folded sheets, to facilitate collating and checking of the sequence of book signatures.

A printers or publishers identifying symbol or emblem.

Color Bars
This term refers to a color test strip, which is printed on the waste portion of a press sheet. It is a standardized (GATF-Graphic Arts Technical Foundation) process which allows a pressman to determine the quality of the printed material relative to ink density, registration, and dot gain. It also includes the Star Target, which is a similar syste...

Color Separating
The processes of separating the primary color components for printing.

Color Strength
A term referring to the relative amount of pigmentation in an ink.

Color Transparency
Transparent film containing a positive photographic color image.

Column Gutter
Space between two or more columns of type on one page.

Commercial Register
Color registration measured within plus or minus one row of dots.

The assembly of characters into words, lines and paragraphs of text or body matter for reproduction by printing.

Condensed Type
A narrow, elongated type face.

Contact Print
A print made from contact of a sensitive surface to a negative or positive photograph.

Contact Screen
A halftone screen made on film of graded density, and used in a vacuum contact with the film.

Continuous Tone
Image made of non-discernable picture elements which give appearance of continuous spectrum of grey values or tones.

The degree of tonal separation or gradation in the range from black to white.

Contre Jour
Taking a picture with the camera lens facing the light source.

Refers to any typewritten material, art, photos etc., to be used for the printing process.

A board upon which the copy is pasted for the purpose of photographing.

Corner Marks
Marks on a final printed sheet that indicate the trim lines or register indicators.

A term describing a general type of papers used for the covers of books, pamphlets etc.


When the rubber blanket on a cylinder moves forward due to contact with the plate or paper. Result of added thickness of folded sheets being behind one another in a folded signature. Outer edges of sheets creep away from back most fold as more folded sheets are inserted inside the middle.

To eliminate a portion of the art or copy as indicated by crop marks.

Crop Mark
Markings at edges of original or on guide sheet to indicate the area desired in reproduction with negative or plate trimmed (cropped) at the markings.

Elements that cross page boundaries and land on two consecutive pages (usually rules).

Marks of fine lines, which intersect to indicate accurate alignment of art elements.

A term used to describe the effect of ink from an image, rule or line art on one printed page, which carries over to another page of a bound work.

Not lying flat and tending to form into cylindrical or wavy shapes. A term to describe the differences of either side of a sheet relative to coatings, absorbency etc.; the concave side is the curl side.

A term used in web press printing to describe the point at which a sheet of paper is cut from the roll; usually this dimension is equal to the circumference of the cylinder.

Machine for accurately cutting stacks of paper to desired dimensions...can also be used to crease. Also trims out final bound books' top size (soft cover).

Cutting Die
Sharp edged device, usually made of steel, to cut paper, cardboard, etc., on a printing press.

A shade of blue used in the four-color process; it reflects blue and green and absorbs red.

Cylinder Gap
The gap in the cylinders of a press where the grippers or blanket clamps is housed.

A dampening system for printing presses which utilizes more alcohol (25%) and less water; this greatly reduces the amount of paper that is spoiled.