Shapes made from either card or metal which when added to a suitable light source can be projected onto 'a photographic subject' e.g. a shuttered window effect onto a table. Usually the gobo is used inside a Focusing Spot Light, but an ordinary 35mm projector can be used on smaller scenes! (see Focusing Spot)
Found on http://www.peterashbyhayter.co.uk/glossaryT-Z.html
No exact match found