Type: Term Pronunciation: al′kă-net Definitions: 1. The root of an herb, Alkanna, or Anchusa tinctoria (family Boraginaceae), that yields the red dyes alkannan and alkannin; used as a coloring agent; also used, combined with tannin, as an astringent.
Found op http://www.medilexicon.com/medicaldictionary.php?t=2246
Al'ka·net noun [ Dim. of Spanish alcana , alheña , in which al is the Arabic article. See Henna , and cf . Orchanet .] 1. (Chemistry) A dyeing matter extracted from the roots of Alka...
Found op http://www.encyclo.co.uk/webster/A/56
1. <chemistry> A dyeing matter extracted from the roots of Alkanna tinctoria, which gives a fine deep red colour. ... 2. <botany> A boraginaceous herb (Alkanna tinctoria) yielding the dye; orchanet. The similar plant Anchusa officinalis; bugloss; also, the American puccoon. ... Origin: D...
Found op http://www.mondofacto.com/facts/dictionary?alkanet
Anchusa officinalis noun perennial or biennial herb cultivated for its delicate usually blue flowers
Found op http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=alkanet
• (n.) The similar plant Anchusa officinalis; bugloss; also, the American puccoon. • (n.) A dyeing matter extracted from the roots of Alkanna tinctoria, which gives a fine deep red color. • (n.) A boraginaceous herb (Alkanna tinctoria) yielding the dye; orchanet.
Found op http://thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/alkanet/
any plant of the 50 or so mostly Mediterranean species of the genus Anchusa and the closely related Pentaglottis sempervirens, bearing blue, purple, ...
Found op http://www.britannica.com/eb/a-z/a/47
Alkanet is a perennial Boraginaceae found in warmer parts of Europe. It has a black tap root and funnel-shaped flowers which commence red and then turn blue.
Found op http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/browse/BA.HTM
Alkanet is a dyeing drug, the bark of the root of the Anchusa or Alkanna tinctoria, a plant of the order Boraginaceae, with downy and spear-shaped leaves, and clusters of small purple or reddish flowers. The plant is sometimes cultivated in Britain, but most of the alkanet of commerce was imported f...
Found op http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/browse/GA.HTM
Alkanet is the name of several related plants in the borage family (Boraginaceae): ...
Found op http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkanet
1) Anchusa 2) Anchusa officinalis 3) Bugloss
Found op http://www.mijnwoordenboek.nl/EN/crossword-dictionary/alkanet/1
Tip: double click on a word to show its meaning.
No exact matches found.
Typ a word and hit `Search`.
The most recent searches on Encyclo. Between brackets you will find the number of results and number of related results.
• fibular (5)
• Bat printing (3)
• Hong Kong one mil coin (1)
• Tones (5)
• Coronary (17)
• Lewandowski, Louis (1)
• Analogue digital (1)
• Jack Dalton (3)
• Ahmad ghashmi (3)
• Harry C. Ransley (1)
• youpon (3)
• fiduciary (21)
• saltatory movement (1)
• Salvatore Antonio (1)
• Catsuit (3)
• Arianna (5)
• Aldobrandini Marriage (1)
• Overhanging (2)
• Voice (25)
• Ariadne (21)
• Bat cuffs (1)
• Baby Cakes (5)
• Tlaloc (4)
• Britannicus (6)