[n] - clergymen collectively (as distinguished from the laity)
Found on http://www.webdictionary.co.uk/definition.php?query=clergy
Those people who are appointed to work in the church. The three types of clergy are deacons, priests and bishops.
Found on http://www.stpeter.dircon.co.uk/pages/glossary/glossaryc.htm
Cler'gy noun [ Middle English clergie , clergi , clerge , Old French clergie , French clergie (fr. clerc clerc, from Latin clericus priest) confused with Old French clergié , French clergé...
Found on http://www.encyclo.co.uk/webster/C/91
noun in Christianity, clergymen collectively (as distinguished from the laity)
Found on http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=clergy
• (n.) The privilege or benefit of clergy. • (n.) The body of men set apart, by due ordination, to the service of God, in the Christian church, in distinction from the laity; in England, usually restricted to the ministers of the Established Church. • (n.) Learning; also, a learned pr...
Found on http://thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/clergy/
a body of ordained ministers in a Christian church. In the Roman Catholic Church and in the Church of England, the term includes the orders of ... [19 related articles]
Found on http://www.britannica.com/eb/a-z/c/96
clergy: see ministry; monasticism; orders, holy.
Found on http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/society/A0911946.html
Clergy is the body of ecclesiastical persons, in contradistinction to the laity. The Greek word came in to use to indicate that this class waste be considered as the particular inheritance and property of God, or else, which is more probable, because it was customary to select by lot those set apart...
Found on http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/browse/CXCA.HTM
A priest or minister in the Christian church.
Found on http://www.movinghere.org.uk/help/glossary.htm
Ordained individuals who perform spiritual and/or religious functions.
Found on http://www.cancer.gov/dictionary?expand=C
1) 'the black,' in stendhal's 'the red and the black' 2) Clericals 3) Cloth 4) First estate 5) Group of priests 6) Mass producers? 7) Men collectively 8) Ministers 9) Ministry 10) Ordained group 11) Presbytery 12) Pr...
Found on http://www.mijnwoordenboek.nl/EN/crossword-dictionary/clergy/1
Ecclesial body made up of those who received the sacrament of the Order. It is divided into the secular clergy, consisting of those who belong to the diocesan clergy, and regular clergy, formed by the clerics of religious congregations
Found on http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/glossario-en/indice-glossario/C/
Tip: double click on a word to show its meaning.
No exact matches found.
Typ a word and hit `Search`.
The most recent searches on Encyclo. Between brackets you will find the number of results and number of related results.
• phainesthai (1)
• Gordon Lyon (1)
• Gherardo III da Camino (1)
• Rhinomanometry (5)
• Parti Socialiste (2)
• Gilalite (1)
• Barrace, Cipriano (1)
• belly land (2)
• dagestan (5)
• Canal Colony (1)
• Bohdana (2)
• SAFA (4)
• Multiple Marker Screen (2)
• Gekandu (1)
• Dorothy Kilner (1)
• Informal Introduction (1)
• Hochkurzzeiterhitzung (1)
• Chronomètre (1)
• Stinnes Legien Agreeme (1)
• oxyntic (6)
• bronchi intrasegmental (1)
• Abner Zwillman (1)
• Girl Talk Inc. (1)
• attraction to (1)