The Introit (from Latin: introitus, "entrance") is part of the opening of the liturgical celebration of the Eucharist for many Christian denominations. In its most complete version, it consists of an antiphon, psalm verse and Gloria Patri that is spoken or sung at the beginning of the celebration. ...
Found op http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introit
the introductory chant of the mass, sung by the choir; it is proper (its text changes from day to day) and antiphonal. Its form is antiphon--psalm--antiphon--doxology--antiphon, though the antiphon between the psalm and doxology may be omitted. It is the only chant of the mass to use the lesser doxo...
Found op http://people.vanderbilt.edu/~cynthia.cyrus/ORB/orbgloss.htm
In·tro'it noun [ Latin introitus , from introire to go into, to enter; intro within + ire to go: confer French introit .] 1. A going in. Caxton. 2. (R. C. Ch.) (a) A psalm su...
Found op http://www.encyclo.co.uk/webster/I/89
1. A going in. ... 2. A psalm sung or chanted immediately before the collect, epistle, and gospel, and while the priest is entering within the rails of the altar. A part of a psalm or other portion of Scripture read by the priest at Mass immediately after ascending to the altar. ... 3. An anthem or ...
Found op http://www.mondofacto.com/facts/dictionary?introit
noun a composition of vocal music that is appropriate for opening church services
Found op http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=introit
• (n.) An anthem or psalm sung before the Communion service. • (n.) A going in. • (n.) A psalm sung or chanted immediately before the collect, epistle, and gospel, and while the priest is entering within the rails of the altar. • (n.) A part of a psalm or other portion of Scriptu...
Found op http://thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/introit/
(from the article `Gregorian chant`) The Proper of the mass is composed of texts that vary for each mass in order to bring out the significance of each feast or season. The Introit is a ...
Found op http://www.britannica.com/eb/a-z/i/35
An introit is a psalm or passage of Scripture sung or chanted while the priest proceeds to the altar to celebrate mass: since the 19th century the term has been used for any musical composition designed for opening a church service.
Found op http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/browse/VI.HTM
1) Song at the start of a church service
Found op http://www.mijnwoordenboek.nl/EN/crossword-dictionary/introit/1
Tip: double click on a word to show its meaning.
No exact matches found.
Typ a word and hit `Search`.
The most recent searches on Encyclo. Between brackets you will find the number of results and number of related results.
• anticathexis (4)
• Ruby Bentall (1)
• MAPICS (2)
• Atlantic Championship (1)
• Mario Montoya (2)
• Neurorrhaphy (4)
• Kanonagirk` (1)
• Copley, John Singleton (4)
• database rights (1)
• Aven Armand (1)
• Trinidad and Tobago (9)
• oncocyte (6)
• stator frame (1)
• Isogram (5)
• Suppressive soil (3)
• Kamienna Struga (1)
• Me and My Town (1)
• temporal line (3)
• Namsos Church (1)
• Quamvis (3)
• ist (10)
• di ta (25)
• Bicuspid aortic valve (5)
• AviSynth (1)